Re: Artists and Social Issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ryan J Kelsey (rjk11)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:11:23 EST

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:47:41 -0500 KJA4465 writes:
>For a higher education course focusing on activist/political art, is
>there an
>integrated curriculum--text, multimedia resources, etc.--that examines
>how
>artists are engaged with such social issues as human misery, economic
>systems
>(housing), crime, environment, health, poverty problems,
>discrimination,
>international trade, unemployment, government expenditures, and the
>national
>debt? Any resource references related to this subject area would be
>appreciated.

Ive just bought a great book on social issues in art. Its called
CONTEMPORARY ART AND MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION by Cahan and Kocur for
theNew Museum for Contemporary Art- Published by Routledge, New York.
The book deals with AIDS, immigration, war, etc. It offers many color
photos of contemporary artists and statements about their work. The back
features many lessons that I wish included more production activities
along with the class discussions on the art. I found this book at my
friendly, neighborhood Borders bookstore in the education department.
rjk