Re: clay whistles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:51:39 -0600

Yes, I'm afraid it was me.

In my other life I was a potter. While picking up my first masters at
K-State with Ange Garzo, I was assigned the project of trying to figure out
how a clay whistle was constructed. It took me a couple weeks...... looking
though books on the physics of musical sound, talking to archaeologists,
looking at every kind of whistle, recorder and organ pipe I could find.

At the time, I resented the project because I just wanted to learn to
throw big pots. Garzio had all these other things he was interested
in....whistles, waste oil kiln fuel, glaze chemistry, etc. etc. Looking
back, I appreciate him pushing us after his interests. Several years later,
I was asked to write a few articles about the work I did while there,
including the two whistle articles.

I think I still have a copy or two of whistle documents out in the studio.
If individuals on the list are interested in copies of the whistle pages,
they can send me e-mail "off-list" with a P.O.Box address and I will see
what I can do to help.

Bob Fromme