Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans


rubber cement

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 23:18:56 -0800


Not only is it flammable, but if used in excess ( heavy exposure) it can
damage your nervous system. (See "Artist Beware" by McCann) If you do
have it in your room, you should make sure the room is ventillated, and
that students avoid skin contact as well as breathing in the fumes.
Also, it is supposed to be stored in a fireproof cabinet.

My generation, the artists who made it through the 60's with their brain
cells intact(?)p need to worry about synergistic effects of everything.
We were told to emerse ourselves in art supplies back then, and now find
out that everything from solvents to rubber cement will be affecting our
bodies. If you smoke, stop! Your lungs get coated everyday from clay
dust, pastel dust, solvents, plaster, you name it, it is adding up in
your lungs,why mix in nicotine to the stew?

I strongly encourage my highschool students (especially those who are
serious about going on for art) to READ labels, and follow instructions,
and above all VENTILATE....no more holing up in dorm rooms with the door
closed, the windows closed, the ashtray full, the lights low, candles
lit, working on art projects.

Have a nice day.

San D