Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans


Re: rubber cement

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:06:35 -0500


Thanks for the suggestions. This problem with the rubber cement is worsened
by the fact that there are bottles of it in EVERY classroom in our school,
and the teachers and faculty seem to be oblivious to the fumes and to the
possibility of young students inhaleing and abusing it. They use the stuff
from k - 8 classroom, although I've never seen more that 2 or 3 cans open
at once.

As the new art teacher I have inherited a rite of passage, of sorts: THE
8TH GRADE YEARBOOK SELF-PORTRAIT COLLAGES. They have always used rubber
cement, as suggested by the yearbook manufacturer. I am pictured as the
spoil sport because I won't allow its use in the art class and I don't have
a replacement cement.

If I can find it I'll try the YES that Sue reccomends. But I will also
experiment with the white glue, because it is already on the cart. Perhaps
some thinning and lessons in application would do the trick.

In general I have noticed more children with lung problems than when I was
a youngster, including asthma with one of my own children. My children were
not exposed to the fumes from my studio and darkroom when they were young,
but I am guilty of being an ex-smoker. The asthma went into remission
before I quit, but since quitting years ago, there have been noticably
fewer common colds around my house!

Thanks,

Mark

>Mark,
>I don't use rubber cement in my classes. Anything that makes my face flush
>when I'm in a room with it HAS to be toxic. Kids complain of headache, and
>the fumes ARE potent, you must admit. So it's white glue for us! A thin
>layer, spread evenly with a scrap of cardboard works well if you put weight
>on it while it's drying.
>
>I DO still oil paint with my kids, but we go to the stage, where there's
>adequate ventilation for the mineral spirits. Generally, there seems to be
>an increase in respiratory problems since we were kids...asthma,
>allergies...any thoughts on this? My own child has had breathing problems,
>and we're careful with solvents at home. Is it a sign of the times? I
>really don't remember there being so many health problems when we were young.
>
>Sandy