I don't use rubber cement in my classes. Anything that makes my face flush
when I'm in a room with it HAS to be toxic. Kids complain of headache, and
the fumes ARE potent, you must admit. So it's white glue for us! A thin
layer, spread evenly with a scrap of cardboard works well if you put weight
on it while it's drying.
I DO still oil paint with my kids, but we go to the stage, where there's
adequate ventilation for the mineral spirits. Generally, there seems to be
an increase in respiratory problems since we were kids...asthma,
allergies...any thoughts on this? My own child has had breathing problems,
and we're careful with solvents at home. Is it a sign of the times? I
really don't remember there being so many health problems when we were young.