Re: Add 5 min. yourself!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 07 Jan 1996 21:37:21 -0800

tdrake wrote:

> I have several back to back classes- with no break between. One thing
> I've tried and been happy with is having each class sit down and look
> at art books for 5 minutes when they first come in. I can use this time
> to set up or just take a breather. The students look at the books in
> silence. They can swap books by raising them silently and looking for a
> taker.
>
> On the "Advertisement issue" Ken brought up:
>
> I love being an advertisment for my school (private). I display as much
> work as I can out in the public. I've created a high profile for the
> art program at my school which I know has become a drawing card for new
> students. I believe this assures the program's likely survival if times
> get lean and provides me with leverage to ask for improvements.
>
> Todd Drake
> New Garden Friends School
>
> Mailed from The Wire,
> A Community Web for the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina, USA
> Vist us today at www.wirecom.com

>From the very beginning I train my students to be on "automatic pilot"
except on those days where I lecture or demonstrate. What that means is
the moment you walk in the door you are in "artist" mode and you are
getting out your materials and getting to work. For me that gives me the
5 minute breather, because they are busy "hunting and gathering" and I
can switch hats. (I teach 3 different art courses, a gifted and talented
pull out program, and a journalism class). Our schedule allows for the
first 10 minutes of 1st period to be a combination of morning
announcements and the pledge of allegance, and if anyone walked in they
would see a variety of "artsy" hands "hovering" over their hearts as
they stop what they are doing to pledge. The "automatic pilot"
philosophy works so well, that when substitutes are there, they are
amazed that the kids ignore them to work, and when my last Student
Teacher left, he said he felt the job was almost too easy because the
kids were very eager to work, make art, and not waste time. I assured my
Student Teacher, that what may seem easy, took years of patience, humor,
and outfoxing, to accomplish.

San D