Re: Inquiry-based,Discipline based art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:08:36 CST6CDT

> Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 00:27:18 -0500
> To: artsednet
> From: sqdq (The Quinlans)
> Subject: Inquiry-based,Discipline based art education

> Hi Everyone my name is David Quinlan and I'm calling about and or
> willing to discuss further the attributes in the use of both the Inquiry
> and
> DBAE in art education. The art teachers that I have come in contact with tend
> to use Formalism as a way to critique students work. When I suggest that there
> are other and much more pedantic ways of helping students analyse their work I
> get the cold hard stare. Wolfelin was really great in bringing forth an art
> discipline of seeing but as we all know it doesn't cover everything. What
> are the main differences between inquiry verses discipline based art
> education?
> I feel that from what I've read inquiry is more nonsequential organiza-
> tionally in the lesson plan format.I wonder, just how many of us have block
> scheduling or work in magnet schools where you have more than forty three
> minutes and the visual resources to do it. I have a great book to recomend if
> you get a chance Rosalind Ragan's Art Talk. I live in central New york near
> Ithaca,and have taught art only one year.If you have any thoughts you would
> like to share please share it with the digestgroup.
> Quinn

Dear David:

I'm a bit confused on your distinction between
Inquiry-based art education and DBAE. In my experience, a
formalist approach (critiquing artworks on the bases of elements
and principles) is most often found in Modernism. It is
certainly the way art was taught when I was back in high school
and is still used by many teachers.

A solely formalist approach is not advocated through
DBAE. Interpretation of meaning in works of art through a
variety of approaches is more often practiced in DBAE. An
inquiry approach through the use of questioning strategies is
also evident in DBAE as practiced by our Institute.

Best Wishes for the New Year,

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas