Re: Response to Flakey Kiln Wash Shelf Mystery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Carol S. Kestler (artsgen)
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 18:29:54 -0700

The most recent issue of Ceramics Monthly has a letter in the "suggestions"
feature recommending the use of Alumina Hydrate as a substitute for kiln
wash. That writer is using pure powdered alumina hydrate as a substitute
painted on kiln wash so that she/he can flip the kiln shelves after each
firing. That's not really necessary at low fire, (very little warpage
at low temperatures) but it does indicate that other people have been using
the alumina solution for a while.