Re: Response to Flakey Kiln Wash Shelf Mystery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Carol S. Kestler (artsgen)
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 18:29:54 -0700

The most recent issue of Ceramics Monthly has a letter in the "suggestions"
monthly
feature recommending the use of Alumina Hydrate as a substitute for kiln
wash. That writer is using pure powdered alumina hydrate as a substitute
for
painted on kiln wash so that she/he can flip the kiln shelves after each
firing. That's not really necessary at low fire, (very little warpage
occurs
at low temperatures) but it does indicate that other people have been using
the alumina solution for a while.

----------
> From: Ray Kinard -- Richland 2 <rkinard>
> To: artsednet
> Subject: Response to Flakey Kiln Wash Shelf Mystery
> Date: Tuesday, December 31, 1996 4:50 AM
>
> You may want to try the the following ideas to aid in getting the kiln
wash
> to stay on the shelf.
> 1- Sand the shelf with a hard fire brick or carbide blast the shelf. A
> monument company can do this probably for a small fee.
> 2- If step one is successful, dip the whole shelf in water for few
seconds
> before applying wash.
> 3 Add gum solution to kiln wah or add about 2% bentonite. The gum
> solution prevents it from chippinf off. The bentonite offers a better
bond
> and keeps the materials from settling to the bottom of the container.
>
> Best Wishes

> ********Ray Kinard is subscriber and wife.

> ********* Robert F. Kinard Education Track, Ph. D.
Program,