Re: More on mats -Reply

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Derek Parsons (dcparson.us)
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 20:06:25 -0800

Terry Barrett wrote:

> Should we be treating elementary students like professional artists?
> -- Marianne Stevens Suggs
>
> No, I don't think we should necessarily treat elementary students
> like professional artists, but when we exhibit their work I think we
> should present it in a way that teaches them and others that an
> exhibition is usually organized by someone (a curator, or a teacher)
> with reasons (some sort of written statement by the teacher, or by a
> student curator) for selecting and showing certain works and
> arranging them in a certain order. Then people respond to what they
> see exhibited, usually orally, and some people (critics and
> journalists, or students) write about it, and then those who hear and
> read what has been spoken or written respond and hopefully further the
> conversation. This is what showing student art could be like.
>
> Terry BarrettTerry Barrett wrote:
>
> Should we be treating elementary students like professional artists?
> -- Marianne Stevens Suggs
>
> No, I don't think we should necessarily treat elementary students
> like professional artists, but when we exhibit their work I think we
> should present it in a way that teaches them and others that an
> exhibition is usually organized by someone (a curator, or a teacher)
> with reasons (some sort of written statement by the teacher, or by a
> student curator) for selecting and showing certain works and
> arranging them in a certain order. Then people respond to what they
> see exhibited, usually orally, and some people (critics and
> journalists, or students) write about it, and then those who hear and
> read what has been spoken or written respond and hopefully further the
> conversation. This is what showing student art could be like.
>
> Terry BarrettTerry Barrett wrote:
>
> Should we be treating elementary students like professional artists?
> -- Marianne Stevens Suggs
>
> No, I don't think we should necessarily treat elementary students
> like professional artists, but when we exhibit their work I think we
> should present it in a way that teaches them and others that an
> exhibition is usually organized by someone (a curator, or a teacher)
> with reasons (some sort of written statement by the teacher, or by a
> student curator) for selecting and showing certain works and
> arranging them in a certain order. Then people respond to what they
> see exhibited, usually orally, and some people (critics and
> journalists, or students) write about it, and then those who hear and
> read what has been spoken or written respond and hopefully further the
> conversation. This is what showing student art could be like.
>
> Terry Barrett

I don't have an opinion on matting childrens art work. I have a
particular way to show what the students are doing in art class. It is
placed outside of their classroom with a sign showing the objective for
the particular porject. Other work that the students and faculty choose
is placed into a professional frame and added to the schools permanent
collection which is displayed throughout the school.
I do like your question about if we should be thinking and
treating our students like "real" artists. Maybe we could use this for a
discussion topic?

Derek Parsons