W.I.N.G.S.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:19:24 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Helen Diemert wrote:

> The curriculum is composed of disciplines or subjects for study. They
> fall into two major groups; those that are instrumental for communication
> or expression (the modes of thinking) and those that purport to study
> some specific aspect of the world (the sciences). The arts and the
> sciences have traditionally composed standard curricula.

Thats a nice model.

> Among the arts are 5 ways to convey thought from one person to
> others, 5 avenues of articulation and communication. They are through:
> 1) words, 2) images, 3) numbers, 4) gestures, and 5) sounds.

I might add tactile sensation to #4, the kinesthetic component of this
model. Texture is not so highly valued in western european cultures as it
has been in others but is remains an important avenue. You distinctly do
not include olfaction or gustatory sensations, which are also generally
left out of most of our communicational paradigms. There is I think
something to these sensations as well, but it is difficult culturally for
us to perceive. Eastern cultures place some value on the olfactory (see
E.T. Hall) and various cultures do manage to express quite a bit of
feeling through consumabiles and foods.

> The sciences, on the other hand, are studied via these modalities.

This is a good point!

> Our culture is perhaps more influenced by the other modalities in films,
> advertising and music. Therefore, these modes are equally significant is
> shaping communal culture and in serving personal fulfillment.

There is a programatic/narrative quality to these modalities that has not
been well explored in education I think.

Neat Post!

-henry