Re: matting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Marvin Bartel (marvinpb)
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:31:52 -0800 (PST)

At 06:57 PM 1/24/96 EDT, you wrote:
>I just came from a district meeting where I was chastised for
>using color mats when displaying K-5 children's art. I maintained
>that children's art sometimes needed the color to bring out certain
>better parts of a painting or artwork. I was shot down.
>What say ye on line?
>Kelly
>West Hartford, CT

I wouldn't shot you down for doing this with children's work, but I never do
it myself. You should be praised for taking the time to put up the display.
Having said that, and since you asked, these are the reasons I would
mat their work with a neutral. I feel mats should function to separate the
work from the wall. I don't think mats should not second guess the artist's
aesthetic (especially not if done by another person). They should not to
complete the art for the artist. The art should be what it is.
I exhibit my own photos. For color photos I generally use cream
(off white) museum board. For B/W I use white, black, or grey.
We do not allow our college students to use colored mats for work
they put in our gallery exhibitions. I often feel a student's work needs
help, but it is not for me or the mat to fix it. They need to learn to fix
it in the work itself.