Re: methods for secondary museum ed.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Illinois Arts Council (ilarts)
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:13:45 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for putting in perspective what an artist in residence is supposed
to be.. Bringing in an outside artist should never supercede the position
of the teacher and bringing in a "bad" artist in residence is unfortunate
but not entirely the fault of the artist! Just like any other discipline,
the students should respect the knowledge and skills of their teachers
but should also interact with a variety of perspectives on the subject
that they study.. I think often slides and visual can help to assist in
making a point when introducing a concept to your group of learners but
nothing has more of an impact than to meet the person who creates the
work and hear about how/why they made a particular work of art. Teachers
needs should be communicated to Artists who come into a school setting
just like any other outside teacher so they don't make the "mistakes"
that often are chalked up by the school as another "bad artist".

Joanne Vena