Re: Reproductions in Art Ed -Reply

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:29:50 CST6CDT

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 18:16:09 -0800
From: Kathy Talley-Jones (Kathy Talley-Jones) <KTalleyJones>
To: artsednet
Cc: taylorh
Subject: Re: Reproductions in Art Ed -Reply

Henry:
You'll be interested in knowing that when we reproduced a photo by
Lola Alvarez Bravo in the Multicultural Art Print Series (distributed by
Crystal Productions), we left in scratches that were on the print and
hairs that were in it. We even asked a few questions about them. The
work is "De Generacion en Generacion" and if you have a chance, take
a close look at it.

We really need un"touched-up" reproductions. What's the NY studio that
reproduces them? Anyone know? Kids need to see the pentimentos and
holidays, the rough edges, frays, dirt and smears in art. Not the
dehumanized art of Ortega Y Gasset and the idealists with appropriate
distance and tight unachievable perfection. Well, I suppose SOME of us
NEED that. But I'm putting my two cents in for the un"improved".
Kathy Talley-Jones
ktalleyjones

Kathy:

It seems to me that reproducing a work just as it is, complete
with " the rough edges, frays, dirt and smears" keeps the
reproduction truer to the original and provides opportunities
for meaningful discussions about the differences between the
orginal and the reproduction.

Another idea: In our teacher institutes and seminars, we often take
a reproduction of a work of art to the museum along to display
and discuss right in front of the original. I know this strategy is not
always possible for everyone, but we find it very helpful in generating
discussion when it can be arranged.

Nancy Walkup

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867
Walkup