Re: methods for secondary museum ed.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathryn A Rosenfeld (rosenfka.edu)
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 15:30:38 -0500 (EST)

You point out what in my view is one of the crucial aspects of and
arguments for museum education: that there is no substitute for standing
students in front of and teaching from an original work (even, I would
argue, if the kids are old enough to comprehend the difference between
the original and a reproduction).

The point is well-taken that not all schools have access to museums. I
like the idea of bringing in your own work-this must take considerable
courage!

There is also the argument that exposure to originals - even medicore
ones - is preferable to repeoductions of the so-called "great works."

Kathy

rosenfka.edu "ART IS NOT OPTIONAL"
University of Cincinnati - Art Education -printed on rock
outside the Art
Academy of Cincinnati