methods for secondary museum ed.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathryn A Rosenfeld (rosenfka.edu)
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 13:26:18 -0500 (EST)

I think this is generally the queston my thesis is going to be on. I
don't have musch formulated yet, but I'd be happy to let you know what I
dig up as things progress. My basic idea is that it's a million times
more effective for kids to be able to stnd in front of an original work
of art and discuss it for its aesthetic and historical properties than to
read a book or be subjected to "art in the dark." I'm thinking about the
potential of museum education to turn out students who, as adults, will
become informed and educated museum-goers.

Specifically, I'll be working with the Cincinnati Art Museum and other
collections that we havbe here in Cinti. I'm interested in what a small
city with a limited collection of original or "important" works can do to
design an experiential art history curriculum that nonetheless imparts an
understanding of the "canon" and not just isolated works.

Kathy
rosenfka.edu