Re: grad students on atsednet

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathrine L Walker (klwalk)
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 14:09:13 -0600 (CST)

Kathryn
Where to begin?

I attended an interesting session at the American Association of Museums
meeting last spring entitled "Texas Teens "Toward an Equity of
Representation" The session was about Junior Docent Programs for high
school students and the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston ran their program
in conjunction with a high school art history class. I believe it was
co-taught by a teacher and museum person. Try contacting Dennis Black,
School Programs Manager.

Through the AAM Education Committee I have access to a list of museum
educators who specialize in high school programs. Send me a snail mail
address and I will send it to you.

Anyone interested in museum education as a field might want to join EdCOM
( only $15) I have membership materials if people send me their snail
mail address. This gives you membership on a national and regional level.
Their is also a journal of Museum Education, published by the Museum
Education Roundtable in Washington D.C. Mailing address is 3000
Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 237D, Washington, DC 20008.

As far as a career, Museum Education is wonderful, if you can get a job.
It is competitive, as museums are suffering from lack of funding and
education departments of museums seem to hold the same position art
teachers/depts. do in the schools. The up side is the variety. Issues
in the field right now include diversity, learning styles, Goals 2000 and
working with schools. A great new movement is the Museum School. You
might want to contact The Brooklyn Museum, 220 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn,
NY 11238 if you are interested in this topic.

Hope this is helpful. Please feel free to contact me with any further or
more specific questions.

Kathrine Walker, Education Coordinator
Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University