Re: Art Assessment

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Derek Parsons (dcparson.us)
Fri, 05 Jan 1996 18:06:15 -0800

Marge Dickinson wrote:

> You're right. It is important that we are accountable for our
> teaching. I am working with 15-20 districts developing assessments based
> on curriculum. These are assessments which the teachers create based on
> what they teach. Each district sets up what amounts to a 'test company'
> and teachers are responsible for creating valid and reliable assessments.
> Alignment with curriculum must be precise and proven. A good example of
> what happens is one anecdote: a 6th grade teacher prepared an assessment
> for his students which he piloted in one class. While grading the
> assessment, he discovered that most of the questions missed had to do with
> color. He was disappointed but realized that what he was teaching, the
> kids were not getting. He is in the process of revising his presentation
> methods to address the 7-learning styles, is talking to other teachers
> about how they teach color and completely revising his lesson plans. The
> students will benefit, don't you think? It really is an exciting process
> and VERY empowering. Parents are starting to notice.
> Thanks for your message. Marge
>
> Marge Dickinson
> Galva, IL
> e-mail: dickinsonm
> phone: 309-932-2880
> fax: 309-932-8207 my own thoughts on assessment keep coming back to my own
situation at my school. I am following a teacher who started out as a
Special Ed. Teacher, reducated now Art Teacher. She had been at my school
for 13 years. What I am finding more and more is that her style and mine
vary dramaticaly. I find that a lot of the difficulties my students are
having is that they have not had the experiences that I am assuming they
have. Myself being a first year teacher, I am following closely to our
County POS(Program of Studies). The problem comes that the prior teacher
did not. I compound my own situation with thoughts, such as, these
children have been preprogramed by another teacher, one who in my
opinion, does not have a desire to teach art as a discipline. So I work
with it. Does it get better? No one at my school seems to care as much as
I do about the children taking something away with them when they leave
my classroom. Maybe this is because I am young and idealistic? Just mine
thoughts.

Derek Parsons