Re: [teacherartexchange] HS sculpture ideas for Air Dry clay and plaster gauze

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2012 - 12:45:59 PST

Hi Maggie - and all,

I have found that air dry clay works for addition sculpture - building
up the clay over foil and wire armature. Students need to make sure
clay can shrink - so foil and/or paper shouldn't be packed too
tightly. Work must be wrapped well in plastic until finished. For some
lively painting ideas, look up Oaxacan carvings and papier mache. By
the way, I am now the proud owner of two Zeny Fuentez floating fish
(from Crizmac). I love his work.... and if you Google him, you will
see that outside of Crizmac, his work is quite pricey now.

There is a lesson on IAD for organic sculpture using clay. Once you
get the clay in working state, it can be used for this type of lesson
- using alternative finishes (paints and stains).

For sculpture ideas for plaster gauze - check out the work of African
American Ben Jones. You get the best of both ideas - masks and arm
casts. Students can create a type of self portrait - casting their
face and arm.

I did an assemblage sculpture lesson with 8th grade once - boxes,
tubes etc....they covered that with the plaster gauze, primed with
white paint -- then painted with Ndebele style design (I have a nice
book on art of the Ndebele - plus had a video). A cast face was part
of the sculpture, but wouldn't have to be.

Regards,

Judy Decker