Re: [teacherartexchange] HS sculpture (how to soften hard clay)

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2012 - 05:05:08 PST

SOFTENING CLAY THAT IS TOO HARD
Wire cut the too-hard clay into thin slices about a fourth inch thick. Dip each slice in water. Stack the slices up and bag it. Let it soak overnight or longer. Try a bag to see how much water is enough to make it soft enough (use thinner slices-or repeat to make it softer and thicker slices to leave it harder). Once I knew how much water was needed, class-time can be used for students to learn how to do this. A spool of sturdy fishing line can make lots of clay slicing "wires".

CLAY THAT IS TOO HARD TO CUT WITH WIRE
1. Let it get bone dry.
2. Set the 25 pound pieces in clear water. No need to crush it (dust is unhealthy). Do not stir. In a few days it will be a mound of mush.
3. Pour off or siphon off excess water.
4. Place the thick mush on a porous surface (canvas supported on drying racks, dry plaster, etc).
5. After clay stiffens a bit, make it into soft arm sized logs. Bend these into tall arches and set them up to dry a bit. (If plaster was used, inspect the clay when picking it off the plaster to be sure no plaster chips get mixed with clay.)
6. When they are the right consistency, place in airtight plastic again.

MORE ON REWORKING AND DIGGING CLAY
A web page to rework and/or learn to dig your own clay: www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/rework.html

Enjoy,

Marvin, retired teacher and potter