[teacherartexchange] HS sculpture ideas

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2012 - 01:52:49 PST

Greetings from Muscat, everyone,

I'm about to enter Semester 2 of my first year here. What a trip, on
many levels! The art department was a real train wreck when I arrived
but thanks to very supportive admin I've been able to effect some
positive changes.

Based on the previously approved curriculum, I'm slated to teach
sculpture for the next semester. Sculpture is SO not my area, though I
did teach it, a little, in the past. I've gotten a few ideas from IAD
that I can pull off, but as there's (almost literally) a ton of air dry
clay in the storeroom that is slowly getting harder, I was wondering if
you have any non-dorky ideas for HS students that I can use it for.
Some of it feels close to leather hard and could be carved, but I myself
do not have the Michelangelo gene and am unable to see any figure in a
piece of marble or plaster or anything else other than the shape it
already is. We also have enough of that plaster gauze stuff to set two
broken limbs on every student in the school. Any ideas for that other
than masks?

Thanks,
Maggie