[teacherartexchange] Back to school after Winter Break

---------

From: Katherine Purdy (kjp1627_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2012 - 12:42:36 PST

Hi everyone,

I have been teaching 7th/8th Art at a public gifted magnet school for
10 years. Even though I am at a gifted school, my classroom is
comprised of
many different learners, ESL kids, special needs kids, kids with IEP's
and the 7 or so gifted ones! It's ethnically diverse and pretty
exciting most of the time!

My curriculum is project based-focusing a lot on 3-D projects because
I find that projects like origami, duct tape crafts, and Pop Art
paper mache really appeal to the kids who have decided they are not
artists because they can't draw. For the last two years I have been
doing vision boards after Winter Break. Still a relatively new
project for me. Wondering if anyone else out there does this
project? I start it out by having the kids create a life list of 100
short term or long term goals and dreams they have for themselves.
However I hesitate to start a new project on the day after Winter
Break.....I usually start the following day.

So would anyone out there like to share what they do IMMEDIATELY
following a three week break? Cleaning the room and an ice breaker
comes to mind but I am not loving those ideas!

Thanks,
Kathy