RE: [teacherartexchange] clean up

---------

From: Strandberg, Debra (dstrandberg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2012 - 10:47:25 PST

I teach 4th, 5th and 6th grade art in 30 minute classes. I have 6 tables, each table has a color, each table has a job posted on a job chart. I rotate the jobs each Monday (each job has velcro tab on back for easy switching).

1) pass out supplies,
2) pass out work
3) take up supplies
4) take up work
5) clean tables (with wet sponges I keep in a bucket by the sink - they love this)
6) clean up supply shelf

So for example on paint days, the four to six people at the table that passes out supplies know they have to pass out newspaper, watercolor set, brush, half full water cup and paper for all tables.

At the end of class, the table that takes up supplies reverses the procedure, putting the brushes in another tub of soapy water I have just for brushes. We practice this.. and have to stop and redo..from time to time...

This limits the number of people at the sink and gives a set responsibility to each table. When we do acrylic or tempra, we use paper plates as palettes and through them out at the end of class. I set up an assembly line to dispense the paint from pump jugs...if I have time, I do this ahead of class.

I pick one student monitor the paint rack where they store their wet paintings and one student to wash out brushes after they are collected. I stay near the sink and the door... :-)

Works for me..hope this helps