Jim Dine info, links and lessons

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 21:36:11 PST

With Valentine's Day coming up soon, I thought it was time to share some
information on Jim Dine.

Jim Dine was " Born in 1935 at Cincinnati, Ohio. He studied at the
University of Cincinnati and at the Boston School of Fine and Applied Arts
in Boston, Massachusetts from 1953 to 1957. In 1957 he received a Bachelor
of Fine Arts degree from the Ohio University, Athens. He moved to New York
in 1959. He staged his first Happenings with Claes Oldenburg and Allan
Kaprow at the Judson Gallery, New York. He had his first one-man exhibition
at the Reuben Gallery, New York. Between 1960 and 1965 he had various guest
professorships, among others at Yale University, New Haven, and Oberlin
College, Ohio. He was represented at the Venice Biennale in 1964, and at the
documenta "4" in Kassel in 1968. Since 1967 he has taught at the College of
Architecture, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. He lives in New York and
London. In his paintings, drawings, sculptures, graphics, collages and
assemblages he combined different techniques with handwritten texts and
words and set real everyday objects against undefined backgrounds. The
objects were both commonplace and personal, both poetic and ironic,
reflecting his own feelings about life. His constantly varied bathrobe,
transparent to the gaze of the world, was a kind of metaphor for a
self-portrait. In the 70s he turned to representational painting of a
traditional kind."
WWW Pop Art Museum http://www.fi.muni.cz/~toms/PopArt/Biographies/dine.html

Craig Roland Lesson Plan:
http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/sparkers/heART/heART.html
Crayola Lesson
Jim Dine Lesson idea 1. Jim Dine is an American artist whose work ranges
from sculptural forms to drawings, paintings, and assemblages. Born on June
16, 1935, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Jim Dine is classified as a Pop artist,
largely because the subjects of his creations are usually household items
such as tools and housecoats. His most famous series of drawings and
paintings include hearts and robes, which are most likely autobiographical.
Research Jim Dine's creative work, examining subject matter, use of color,
and gradations of value.

2. On white drawing paper, use CrayolaŽ Oil Pastels to draw a simple outline
of a household object, such as a fork, hammer, or toothbrush. As Dine did,
limit yourself to one or two colors plus black and white. Start at the top
of the object and color in your drawing with dark, intense color. As you
move down the object, make it lighter and lighter until you reach the bottom
of the object, where it remains white.

3. Color in the background of your drawing in the opposite way, making the
bottom very dark and the top very light. Make your changes in value
(darkness and lightness) very gradual, so there are no obvious lines in your
(Lesson is no longer online --but I have the image on file for anyone who
wants it.)

Check Bunki Kramer's Jim Dine hearts done in oil pastel
http://ww2.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/newKramer/JimDineHearts/jim_dine_hearts.htm

Heart Lesson Plan
http://www.lessonplanspage.com/ArtMDVarStylesMediaForHeartThemedArtK2.htm

Heart Images:
http://www.postershop.com/Dine-Jim-p.html

Two black hearts: http://www.decordova.org/decordova/sculp_park/dine.html

Fine art original prints:
http://www.entertainmentstudios.com/fine_art/dine.asp

"Jim Dine: Walking Memory, 1959-1969.".(Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New
York, New York)
http://www.findarticles.com/m0268/8_37/54454989/p1/article.jhtml

Symbols of self
http://www.findarticles.com/m1248/12_87/58360979/p1/article.jhtml

Walking Memory exhibit
http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/past_exhibitions/dine/dine_bottom2.htm

U of L Art Gallery: Jim Dine "Hearts Skulls Death and the Maiden" Trianon
Gallery - University of Lethbridge - Alberta excellent site!
http://home.uleth.ca/sfa-gal/exhibitions/Dine/Dine.htm

Biography from Guggenheim
http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/artist_bio_41.html

Artcyclopedia: Jim Dine on the internet
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/dine_jim.html

Sculpture http://www.batteryparkcity.org/dine1.htm

Samples of work -Art.com. http://makeashorterlink.com/?X14E21623

E-Fine Art- biography and photograph
http://www.e-fineart.com/biography/dine.html

Lots of images http://makeashorterlink.com/?J26E21623

I have LOTS and LOTS of images saved on my computer if anyone want them. I
can send via attachment. Hope I got this posted in time for your February
planning.....Well I must go finish paying my bills.....but somehow posting
this message to ArtsEdNet was a lot more fun.

Talk to you all later.

Judy

P.S. I have LOTS of files/links for Black History month - let me know if you
want them jdecker@woh.rr.com

---