Re: ad rubric

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
M. Grosspietsch (teachart)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:19:57 -0600

Marcia, My school can't afford to help me get to Washington either this
year. Since I will be adding advertising to my curriculum later this
year, I'll take a crack at a poster/ad rubric for middle school students
to use in their non-art classes. These are just off the top of my head,
mind you, and even though I try to keep as much subjectivity out of my
rubrics, it sometimes creeps in there:

Possibilities for Criteria, Typography/Lettering:
-Are the individual letter shapes easy to see? (yes/no)--(or choose your
own type of scale for each item)....
-Are the individual letter shapes drawn (or typed) with care,
quality...(too subjective?)
-Are the words easy to read from 10 feet?
-Are the words kept to a short, simple phrase?
-Does the phrase catch your attention? (Is it memorable?)
-Were display typefaces used appropriately for large headlines?
-Were text typefaces used for ad copy?
-Does the ad contain no more than 3 typefaces? (once a cardinal design
rule, but now it's being broken all the time)
-Interpret the letter shapes; do they help communicate the ad's message?

Possibilities for Criteria, Composition/Design:
-Is the message/concept of the ad effectively communicated?
-Does the choice of imagery help convey the message of the ad?
-Is the product being advertised/the poster message easy to recognize?
-Which principle(s) of design was(were) used to catch attention...
emphasis, contrast, repetition, variation, etc.; and was the choice
successful in terms of getting the message across? (Why?)
-Does the product placement and size catch your attention?
-Does the phrase go together conceptually with the product? (How?)
-Which grabs your eye more, the text or the image? Does this aspect and
the composition draw your eye to the other element (the image or text)
so that they complement each other?
-Does the ad attract the age/gender of the audience you were trying to
reach? (explain how....)
-Is the ad free of distracting elements that compete with the message?

I think the basics of page layout where advertising is concerned is
this: does the combination of imagery and text clearly communicate "buy
this!" and/or "remember me!" through a unified, eye-catching design.

I hope this is close to what you wanted.

Margaret G.