Re: How do you deal with failures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:23:18 -0800

Louisa, Uninspired students are always a problem for art educators, for
precisely the reasons you gave in your communication: they are from
general education classes, not art majors. The answer to some of your
problems may lie in that realization: Your job at the elementary level
is not to produce artists, rather it is to introduce students to art
skills and concepts that will serve them later in life. The most
important thing you as a teacher can do, however, is instill a passion
for the creation and love of visual art. If you are a practicing artist
and have your own passions, this task is all the easier, so if you
haven't picked up a brush since college, get back in the saddle! As an
art teacher at the elementary level for 25 years, I have learned that
doing the research necessary to develop developmentally appropriate art
activities is essential to a sucessful program. What works to inspire a
kindergartener does not work with a 5th grader. As kids get older, I
have found that setting up problem-solving activities such as
constructions, paper mache, metal toolings, clay, sculptures is what
inspires students to work for me. Having finished quality made
prototypes is important, after all, it is visual art! Don't get
discouraged, you can't win them all, but you can have most of them with
careful planning.........Jerry