Re: meaning/public spirit

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:42:20 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, marcia m eaton wrote:
> I recently read a newspaper account of a visit to Mt. Rushmore by
> a Dutch tourist. He found the whole thing, the huge parking lot, playing
> of music, lighting at night rather silly and wondered if Americans are
> really moved by the site. He also wondered whether this typified America.

The above comment reminded me of the time I first visited Niagra Falls at
night. I
had heard that it was lit up at night and looked forward to seeing the
magnificent and powerful water pouring down against a dark sky. To my
dismay, the lights were colored lights! I had assumed they were just
going to be normal "white" light. It seemed to me that this natural
wonder was amazing enough without adding color. I don't know if it was
someone's idea of "improving" on nature, or perhaps an attempt to put a
human imprint on one of nature's large, public works. But it really
disturbed me.
--Carla