Re: How do you deal with failures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wendy Manning (wmanning)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:07:31 -0400

It depends on why they are unwilling.....could be any number of reasons.
One thing you can do is try to find some lessons that fit your goals and at the
same time almost guarantee success. If the work looks "cool " and artistic, and
you make a fuss over it, the self-esteem boost might be enough to encourage them
to "move beyond crayons" when they get something a little more challenging.I have
often found this to work with the type of kids you mention. The self-esteem aspect
seems to play a bigger role in art then some other subjects, at least at
middle-school level.
Other kids have responded to my developing-the-right-brain speil, and I tell
them that even if they don't like art they are making themselves smarter by doing
it.
In my experience the biggest factor of all is class size. I have a few smaller
classes this year (24 as opposed to 33) and I've reached some kids I was
unsuccessful with last year, simply because I have had more time to spend with
them and could deal more quickly with disruptions.
Having said all this , I haven't had the Grade Seven Class From Hell yet, not
till next term. When they were the Grade Six Class From Hell they weren't willing
to do anything and I was at a loss at how to motivate them (as were the rest of
their teachers).
Wendy