Re: art history

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:47:05 -0500

Why teach art history?

hmm....for the connection. As human beings we are connected by one long slender
strand from the caves to the galleries in Soho. Man has the need to create and ask
questions, it's what separates us from the other species....all of these pieces
(art, architecture, crafts,) have been touched by man, each individual piece speaks
volumes about the creator and his times, and some ask more questions than answer.
Art history defines civilizations in ways that history books can only pale in
comparison with...How LONG did Chartres take? Each individual stain glass artisan
not only created a breath taking window that spoke volumes about what the word "God"
meant, but gave his life and that of his next generation's in service to his craft.
In the dreariness of Scandinavian winters, Edvard Munch image will always be
screaming, and in the tenderness of a mother child moment Cassatt's painting will
always evoke feelings of love. Art history transcends the man made convention of
time giving us pieces and glimpses of what it was and is to be alive as human
beings, with brains and hands clever enough to try to capture those feelings.

Over the years I have short changed art history in favor of studio work. I always
feel guilty as I try to weave one lesson into the other. But I, too, have been
handcuffed by the 'convention of time', 45 minutes a day in a studio course. All I
can do is pass on my love and encourage my students to seek the experiences out on
their own through research, museum visits, and reading.

San D