Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1255

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:58:54 -0500

Why?? Well- I was counting on all of you who speak much more
eloquently than myself. I don't drink coffee, so I fear no better. I
would say that in studying and learning about humans it helps to
know the history of who came before you and any other influences.
Archeology,Anthropology also is a great help in teaching art
depending on the lesson(s). The study of (Wo)Man and psychology- but
this is analyzing. When we do scanning or the interpretation of a
piece you would want to give the students as much vocabulary and
background that would allow them to communicate their feelings and
opinions about what they are looking at. To be able to do anything
you learn about the background (history) of what it is your learning
about. It is sort of the floor plan of thinking in a critical way
about art. Yes you can teach art lessons and not give history- I
don't think any of us working with young children sit down and have
an in depth art history class with 200 slides and a quiz. It is more
in the approach and background you are preparing them with when you
look at prints, books etc. on someone's work or culture. Remember
that what we consider art was the way in which many cultures
communicated with the masses before formal education was around and
taught people how to read/write and think on their own. The written
word hasn't been around all that long for the masses and still isn't
in parts of the world.
Sandra

RWilk85411 wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/99 2:51:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> mmprice writes:
>
> << Would anybody like to tell me why art history is important in teaching
> art? >>
>
> Someone help me out here. It is early and I have only had one cup of coffee.
> It takes at least three more and a few more hours of being awake to reach
> consciousness.
> Reatha

Sandra Barrick

astroboy