Re: art room discipline-long post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:39:16 -0600

Oh My gosh Michelle, If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were one of
my student teachers that I've trained! One other thing you can add to your
bag of tricks is Art Money. My students love it. You can use it a couple
of ways- students get an art dollar if displaying very very good behaviors
and work skills. Every 2 weeks the "Store" opens and they can buy cute
pencils, candy , soda, or special passes (water, locker) . Another way to
handle the art money is to have students write their name on the back and
collect them for a drawing for a treat at the end of the week.
I started this incentive to try to pay more attention to the good
behaviors. It is so easy to get caught up in the negative stuff and that
can happen a lot in middle school.
The Art Money I made has Mona Lisa in the middle (instead of a president)
and ID numbers, my signature, school name, and other ideas I got from
looking at a dollar bill. The kids really get a kick out of them. They are
all responsible for keeping track of their bills. They decided they would
put their names on the back and keep them in their sketchbooks until they
were ready to use them.

Mary B

PS. BTW Michelle will you still be able to send your Art Across America
stuff?