Re: Classroom discipline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MarshArt
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:03:32 EST

In a message dated 2/17/99 12:01:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, smi
writes:

> Last year I too had one of those fourth grades from space! Have you talked
> to them as a group about respect and expectations?

My kids are finally getting the message. To me classroom dicipline is
foremost. I will usually STOP their work and we PRACTICE the classroom rule
they are breaking until they get it. Then we get back to work. If it is
individuals, and not the whole class, I make them do it. My classroom rules
are posted in the front of the room. When they break one, and I use
diciplinary measure, they are to read the rule to me.

To quiet a class, I have a wind-chime hung from the ceiling at the front of
the room. It is an unusual noise and usually gets their attention better than
rapping on the desk or me shouting over their voices. They know that the
chime means STOP< LOOK AT ME< AND LISTEN. If a kid ignores it, the name goes
on the board. Second time...a check next to the name means remain after class
2 minutes. With each infraction the time goes up and a note goes home. After
2-3 times, they get the message.

I always try to be consistent. That is the real success of this.

Marsha