RE: classroom discipline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:43:32 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: MCCon513 [SMTP:MCCon513]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 8:27 PM
Subject: classroom discipline

In regards to the "4th grade from space"-do you really think that it's a good
idea to use drawing as a punishment? It seems to me that there has got to be
a better way. If things are really bad, does the classroom teacher have any
suggestions? Have you tried talking to the parents of the ones that act out.
It's hard enough to teach drawing skills and art history as it is... Susan
I also don't like to use good lessons as punishment. I have sometimes used the strategy of giving directions from a circle to introduce a lesson to a class. In a circle you can make eye contact with each student and actually see what they are doing. Also, its possible to move around behind them and zero in on people who are not listening. Often in this case just a look or a hand on the shoulder, can make a difference. I have also had the children work in this way, on the floor. This way I can get to each child to give assistance, when necessary. Its a helpful thing for the children to see what is going on and know that you can also see them, and anticipate when they need help. Often if you can motivate the students with your directions, and with the anticipated production. The discipline problems may be helped. This is one of those holdovers from "magic circle" days, (that us dinasours still have not thrown out with the bathwater). What ever goes around does come around....... sometimes.