Re: Displaying artwork

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:11:19 -0500

Hi DeDe -- I'm not a user of portfolios. I'm guessing a lot of others
wouldn't agree with me on this, but I send work home as much as possible.
When my kids were in elem school I would get a little miffed that they
never brought home their work from art. They said the teacher was saving
it for the end of the year show. By the end of the year either they didn't
get it back or it had lost its meaning for them and they didn't make the
effort to bring it home. So in my classroom, I emphasize to the kids that
their work is an expression of themselves and they should be (and usually
are quite) proud of it, so they enjoy bringing it home right away. (The
fourth graders' coil pots are leaving school at a miraculous pace!) Of
course I do need to "borrow" some work for our yearly art show and for hall
displays. But I guess I look at my total objective for the program I have
set up -- do I want the kids to value the product or process? Do I want
them working for themselves or for display? Or, perhaps I just rationalize
this because the job of displaying from everyone is so daunting!!
Liz in rural NY

----------
> From: DeDeRuss
> To: buerklej.fl.us; artsednet.edu
> Subject: Re: Displaying artwork
> Date: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 10:03 AM
>
> This question goes out to all of you. When my students complete projects
> usually let them take them home, or I put them up for display for a
while.
> Some of you have written that you keep student work in a portfolio till
the
> end of the semester --then send the portfolio home with all the work done
the
> semester. What are the logistics of this?----What kind of
portfolio---where do