RE: displaying artwork

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:43:30 -0500

I think I agree with Sandra. Altho' it is important to encourage the young
ones and not differentiate because they have simply not had enough
experience, I think that putting up all work in high school would be doing a
disservice to the kids that take their work seriously. Kids know when
they've done quality work and often get really annoyed if you tell them
something is nice, or whatever, but they don't think so. Unless we tell them
what, exactly, is nice, interesting, etc., we lose our credibility. I have
some high schoolers who just slop together anything just to get it done.
They know it and I know it, and I refuse to justify it by displaying it. In
my opinion, self esteem is derived from the act of knowing inside that one
has met a problem or challenge and solved it successfully-it is not
something that can be "given" or "taught". It should be a mark of
achievement and distinction to have one's work displayed as quality. Linda
in NC