Re: Artists in Residence: really long post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:10:04 -0500

This is why artists need to work with the art teacher in the process
of doing a project. Since it is the process of their work which the
children are really learning about. In other words an art teacher or
a person working as a coordinator with art and school should find a
lesson or project which will utilize both. I think we need to
promote artists and not art teachers in the school as a resident
position. I am not dismissing art teachers, but the kids are aware
of them and have had the opportunity to be close and see them at
work. An artist, whether that be a painter/sculptor/designer/
ceramist etc.has the opportunity to show the students work in
action. Maybe viewing studios or coming in to see the class. they do
not need to have previous teaching experience and the teacher is the
liaison for the artist and child. As with going to a play or a music
concert or even a library and hearing an author speak. It helps for
them to have people skills and to be willing to be "interviewed" by
the kids though.

Buerkle, Jennifer wrote:
I think
> the problem is that these "artists in residence" are NOT art TEACHERS. Big
> difference, in many cases. The concept of just watching the artist is
> probably the one that makes the most sense, because they just don't have a
> clue (most of them) how to get the product out of the kids, the realities
> of life in an art classroom, etc.

> Jen

Sandra Barrick

astroboy