Re: Artists in Residence: really long post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:38:14 -0500

RWilk85411 wrote:

> Please allow me to vent. Like I'm not going to do it anyway. :-))

> So we are going to use the same money on buying our own equipment, when
> necessary, and bringing in a local artist. I am on the board of our local
> artists guild and we have plenty, a couple of hundred, of artists on our
> roles. And as coincidence would have it the guild is in the middle of
> developing a program through which we would be involving local artists in the
> schools on a voluntary basis. Free. And they will be there to do what the art
> teacher needs for them to do. Workshops, lectures, mentoring, etc.
>
> Well, is this long enough?
> Reatha
Great that is exactly what I was going to suggest! So many times
either the system you are in or the politics and preference of
people in charge get in the way of teaching. Being able to utilize
local artist not only gives kids a perspective of what they can
achieve but also, "there is someone in my town who is doing
this!!!Maybe I can too!!!" Instead of an alien artist (one not of
residence) utilizing what is available can be just as, if not more,
rewarding.(Plus no bunking problems)
Happy V Day!
Sandra
astroboy