Re: Andrew Wyeth ideas?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:03:26 -0800

E. Hess wrote:

> Seeking ideas for 4th grade Andrew Wyeth projects. 4th grade kids study
> PA history, and as Wyeth is the leading living artist of PA I'd like to
> feature him. Or maybe you have other ideas using Pennsylvania
> artists???

I use Wyeth's work, along with others, when showing my HS students that
great art does not have to be of grand or "noble" themes and subjects.
Common objects like an old pair of boots have visual interest, too. The
students choose very ordinary objects and use them as the subject matter
for a series of work across different curricula.

I also like his still lifes of things like farm implements, or a jacket
hanging on a peg, which are like portraits of his neighbors via their
belongings. We do something similar: the students draw the insides of
their lockers as a sort of self-portrait--neat and organized, or messy,
or even bare (which prompts me to tease them, "What does an empty locker
say about your life?" ;) Fourth graders most likely don't have lockers,
but a cubby hole? A book bag? Their pockets?

Maggie