Re: MEANING

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MCALLANILO
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:16:37 EST

In a message dated 2/11/99 8:53:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
taylorh writes:

> >Before he turned to painting, Van Gogh was a failed preacher.
>
> >Joseph
>
> And before he failed... just a preacher. AND, before that, as a child, on
> his way to church on mornings he passed through a graveyard wherein stood a
> gravestone with HIS name on it.... A brother.... his parents recycled the
> name. Devout family, he went to church a lot.
Was he a "failed" preacher? or did he just choose art because it was yet
another way the divine was available to him? Might have also had something to
do with Theo being in the art business. I have the book of letters, which I
haven't yet started to read.