Re: [Fwd: Re: art on a cart frustrations!!!]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:54:08 -0500

Ann Carolan wrote:

> Back to the issue of student expectations. My advice to you is to LOWER
> your expectations of yourself and your students if you want to survive
> this thing. That doesn't mean to sacrifice quallity; but you need to
> sacrifice VARIETY. Don't try to do so many different things. When I was
> in elementary the kids did the same things in each grade so that I could
> manage my materials. If one class worked with watercolors; all of them
> did. I just adapted the lessons for the different levels and abilities.

I agree with ann on this one- you will drive yourself crazy. One
thing I did when doing K-8th, was to use the same basic theme,
subject, or medium. I changed the standards or curriculum to fit
the difference in age and ability. So if you are doing a lesson on
straight line/curved line, or printing etc., change it to adjust to
the class but cut down on the different types of supplies. try to
just use one cart, if you can't fit it on then omit- you know it has
too much. try to leave the other cart in a place near the other
classes or with the different supplies.
I only had one and had to go outside and around the building to get
to the upper school. I did use older boys to help carry supplies,
teachers always let me have them for a few minutes to help with
carts or water ( because I didn't have sinks either). If you want to
see a lesson on Stuart Davis it will show you how to do it for the
different ages using similar supplies and you can basically do this
with any subject. i.e.- everyone uses ink on printmaking lesson- but
there are various ways to teach printing.
Sandra
astroboy