Re: Painting drapery fold...lH E L P ! !

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MarshArt
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:50:57 EST

In a message dated 2/11/99 1:10:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
SKOOLMA writes:

> I did fine in drawing my folds, and I was able to do the gradation with
> the pastels, BUT now that i am trying w/ACRYLIC paint... I CAN'T DO IT!!

Are you painting in tempera or acrylic? This method will work for both
although for acrylic you can get a flow medium in the craft stores that will
retard the drying time.

The best way is to get a large brush like 2-3". Put down your base coat color
like you would in a coloring book. Mix a tint and shade of the base color.
Remember it will be seen from far away so that everything in scenery is
exaggerated.

Next, determine where the shadows are, from the folds of drapery. Dip one
corner of the brush in the darker shade of base color. If using flow medium,
load the brush with that first. Make several practice strokes on paper to
blend the paint across the brush. They should look graduated in value from the
dark paint side of the brush. The idea is to not let the dark paint work over
to the other side of the brush. That corner should be clear. If working with
temepra, use water as the flow medium. Repeat for the highlight on the fold
by using a tint of the color...only the highlight is on the most raised part
of the fold that catches the light.

If you look at folds in garment as in Ingres or David's paintings, you can
better visualize what I mean. The main point is that to get a graduated value
of shading in acrylic, you cannot "pittter-pat" the paint like we do in oils.
We need to "flow" it on in a single smooth brushstroke and the paint has to
be blended or graduated on the brush.

Hope this helps.

Marsha in beautiful perfect weather Florida.