RE: japanese clay project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:09:24 -0500

I just made clay rattles with my 5th graders. We practiced with pinch pots
the first week. The second week they made the rattles. I had examples done
in white and red low fire clay - they did theirs in stoneware (we were
investigating different pitches)
They made 10 - 20 small beads (about the size of a pea) - wrapped in paper
towels and place in lower pot. The other pot was also supported with paper
towels.) We used a needle tool to put a small hole in the end of one pot.
(Although we can't find the hole in one of the examples I made - we didn't
take a chance with the rest.)

When they were fired the rattles didn't work at first. The kids had to
shake them to break up the ash - the beads didn't have enough mass to break
it up easily. I would have them make larger beads - less of them... don't
pack the pots so tightly.

They shaped the spheres when the pots were joined - there were some
interesting shapes. They added texture to areas on the rattle.

All 50 made it through the firing process - mine exploded... (but I was
getting fancy - I had shaped it into a sleeping duck /swan and may have
twisted a bubble in.)

Ellen