Re: Assessing Learning Disabled Students

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:40:59 -0800

Virginia Rockwood wrote:

> How to assess the disabled student? I look mostly at process. I partly
> evaluate their work based on their previous work, Is there evidence of
> growth? Were my expectations met to the best of their physical and mental
> ability? (Meeting standards and expectations may look different according to
> the abilities of the individual students.) Time on task? Did s/he take the
> risk and give the lesson their best shot, regardless of what the final
> product looks like? Is the art product an honest expression of the student's
> idea? Avoid comparisons to other students' work. Let the work speak for
> itself and the student artist who created it. Different "equipment" leads to
> different results.

I do nearly the same evaluation process with my high school LD, EMH, and
TMH students. I don't write separate lesson plans for them; I try to
have them do the same assignment as the others as much as possible. They
really seem to dig the mainstreaming process and doing the same projects
as everyone else.

Maggie