Re: japanese clay project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Louise Cosgrove (lcosgrov)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:35:13 -0500

There is a contemporary Japanese potter (I forget her name) living in New
Jersey who makes closed pots, but just before closing them, she drops in a
small piece of clay with a paper wrapped around it on which she has written
some special feelings, poetry, memories, etc. When the pot is fired, the
paper disintegrates, leaving behind the loose piece (s). When shaken, it
makes a lovely jingling sound and the memory is stirred again. What a
charming concept! It could easily be done with second graders by joining
two pinch pots at the open ends with some scoring, slip, and blending.