Re: japanese clay project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:34:05 -0500

Hi Sherry --
I have my 3rd graders make simple pinch pots, but first describe the
Japanese tea ceremony to them.I hope to get them to understand the
difference in attitude between, for example, me making a cup of tea in the
evening (while carelessly doing ten other things) and the careful sequence
and significance of the tea ceremony. Then when I give them a ball of clay
I have them slow right down and "communicate" with the clay (sounds like
hippie stuff!), and slowly pinch a pot. (I used to follow this up with a
lesson in origami, but it seemed a little too structured and too many were
getting frustrated if they didn't make the folds correctly!) But they seem
to remember the attitude for a few years afterward.
Liz in rural NY