Re: MEANING

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:01:38 -0500

Hi Kim --
I agree with you about quilting -- it such a comforting thing to make. I
always felt inadequate somehow, as an art teacher, that I didn't create
fine art in my spare time. But I'd usually be sitting at my sewing machine
making quilts. I finally realized -- Fiber art! I could hang a handle on
it and feel totally justified as an artist because, yes, all the elements
of design are being considered. And I end up with useful things (like the
quilt I made for the floor of the art room when I need to gather the little
ones around and the bare floor is so cold!) Subscribing to ArtQuilt
magazine made me feel even more like a true artist, as I identified with
the amazingly creative people showcased in each issue. Perhaps meaning
should be interlaced with function.
Liz in rural NY