RE: Scoring Sheets

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:25:58 -0500

Perhaps the teacher you think is just "slapping on" grades has enough
experience to know what he/she is doing. With experience, one generally
knows what each kid is capable of doing, what the objectives of a project
were, how much time and effort that child spent, how much improvement has
been made in work, etc. Although rubrics are great on paper, many of us
oldie goldies have rubrics in our heads that we use when "slapping". When
one has many students and limited time and deadlines for progress reports,
etc., sometimes it is quicker to do it that way. I can always explain to a
child why he or she received a particular grade--and if they have a good
argument/rationale as to why it should be changed, I have been known to
agree and change the grade. Unfortunately, many of my kids are happy to just
"pass." Maybe you should ask your cooperating teacher why it is done that
way, and how.