Re: MEANING: Size

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:11:59 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Henry Taylor wrote:
> Let's recover a massive and biomorphic object of human manufacture from
> beneath the sands of the Kalahari. Were does the meaning come from? In its
> original context we could expect that the object had meaning. As an
> unfamiliar thing uncovered by the wind we are at more of a loss. Where do we
> look for meaning?
I think that Shelley addressed this very point:
"Two vast and trunkless legs of stone stand in the desert. Near them, on
the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies,
whose frown, and wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command tell that its
sculptor well those passions read which yet
survive, stamped on these lifeless things, the hand that mocked them, and
the heart that fed. And on the pedestal
these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless
and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away.
[with apologies for not having the correct line breaks]

--Carla