MEANING: Size

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 22:18:10 -0800 (PST)

In reading the messages from Marcia, Ron and others about the impact of
size in art, I couldn't help remembering the funny scene in "The Truman
Show" where Truman's mother is trying to make him believe he has ever been
outside his community (he hasn't) by showing him "travel photos." He
looks at a picture of himself and his parents next to Mt. Rushmore, only
it's about 10 feet tall! "I always thought it was bigger..." he muses
sadly. Hilarious!

--Carla

Carla Schiller, Esq.
Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
e-mail: charwitt.us
"We all make the best choices from among those we see, but we don't always
see all the choices available." --Author unknown

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, R. Moore wrote:

> I enjoyed Marcia's discussion of the size issue. Size seems to make a
> greater difference in some art genress rather than others. The size of a
> building, or a building complex, is integral to its function. Imagine if
> Trajan's Forum were built to be a quarter as large as it actually was (due
> to shortfall in the booty budget after the Dacian campaign). Now, that
> would really change the work. Much more so than turning a photo into a 4x
> blow up or a 1/4 miniature. Quilts are interesting hybrid cases because
> they do or did have a serious domestic function, a function that is
> seriously compromised if they cover only a quarter as many cold feet, etc.
> as they might have. But quilts made never to be used, just to hang on
> walls or be displayed on the ground are a different matter.
> There are artworks done with such exquisitely skilled
> miniaturization that they must be viewed through a magnifying glass. In
> these instances, size is very much part of the appeal. What would we
> think of the Washington Monument if it were one quarter its present scale?
> All of this is really very interesting, and I agree with Marcia
> that it ought to be possible to get kids going on the topic in lots of
> fascinating directions.
> Ron

  • Reply: Henry Taylor: "Re: MEANING: Size"
  • Reply: Lily Kerns: "Re: MEANING: Size"
  • Reply: Rosa Juliusdottir: "Re: MEANING: Size"