Re: Pop Art Lessons (long)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:41:42 -0500

Karen Kolzing wrote:

> I'm looking for any elementary school art lessons involving Pop Art.
> Any suggestions??? Thanks:)

Some years ago when I was student teaching, our school, which was built
in the 60s, was celebrating an anniversary. We decided to do a different
60's lesson with each class for the spring art fair and some of these
were OP and POP art:
1st graders did Viktor Vassarely - each student arranged colored
construction paper squares and circles on a 12" black square, then we
put all the squares together to make a giant square. There are more
specific instructions about the size and prescribed and random placement
of the squares which I won't go into unless anyone is interested. But
the principle of movement was addressed in aesthetic discussion and the
optical effects created were stunning.
4th graders did Warhol and Lichtenstein. For Warhol, we
xeroxed/enlarged their school photos to about 4"x6" and transferred them
to speed screens. The kids printed an edition of six (or more? can't
remember) with black chromacryl on different colors of paper precut to
size. The 4 best ones were mounted close together on a larger piece of
paper about 9"x13" I think. For the exhibit, these 9x13s were mounted
close together for one large Warhol-style display.
Another 4th grade class did Lichtenstein. They learned about the
process of printing in color using benday dots and about Roy's enlarged
romance comic book images. They each selected a frame from a comic strip
to enlarge using a transparency on the overhead (borrowed every overhead
and extension cord in the building and had the kids at every electrical
outlet on my hallway!). They painted these in with acrylics using only
red/yellow/blue/green except for one or two areas in the composition
which had to be done in benday dots. For this I made up a bunch of speed
screens with large screen dots (these were hard to find then..wouldn't
know where to look these days..maybe a printer or typesetting place).
The kids masked off the area(s) they wanted to do in dots and rolled
them on with chromacryl. They also had to change the words in the word
balloons to say something about art. If you do this, be sure to point
out to them what "font" to use. They can kill the whole effect by using
their ordinary upper/lower case printing.
That might have been a 5th grade that did Lichtenstein because I think
there were only 2 4ths and I know the other one did "warped paper" ala
British Op artist Brigit Riley (sp?). I used her "Current" as an example
-xeroxed it and passed out one to every kid and they all made a big deal
out of getting dizzy looking at it. We talked about how the illusion of
depth is created by varying the line width and the amount of white space
between the lines. I showed them how to get a warped paper effect by
making a series of 6-10 lines that gently curve accross the paper
alternately touching and separating in the same pattern (use fine point
markers - one color). When that is done they make another series of
lines going across in a different direction, crossing "behind" the 1st
set. Repeat until the entire page is filled. They all turn out with
interesting effects and with very unique patterns.
All these may need more explanation but unless some one is interested,
I won't take up any more space here!
Linda in Michigan