Re: Art on a Cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:46:09 -0500

Hi everyone --
I think Linda has hit the nail on the head -- the important thing is not
what your physical room situation is, but the attitudes and cooperative
spirit of others. I've done art a la cart and now have a wonderful room
with sufficient supplies. I think a little sugar goes a long way in
dealing with others who have concerns of their own -- I try never to be
snippy or sarcastic (some days it's very hard!!), and try to explain my
needs clearly. I do, however, think that even though our school is in one
of the poorest counties in NY, the school district has made enough of a
commitment to making sure the teachers have what they need materials &
supplies wise, so the classroom teachers don't have the need to "borrow"
from art room supplies. That's due to the administration's supportive
So, in looking for another job, how would a person get a feel for that kind
of attitude?
Liz in rural NY

Glenda wrote:
> I was really thinking about changing jobs which would mean "art on a
> cart" but after hearing your stories I may stay where I am.  I have a
> wonderful classroom....BUT....I have to drive 50 to 60 minutes one way
> (depending on weather and traffic).   And that's getting old!

Linda wrote:
It is
demoralizing to work as hard as we do while being so unappreciated.
A big plus
for me is that, with just a few exceptions, my colleagues empathize.
They are very good about being on time, most of them let me know of
schedule changes, etc. If I decide to look for a job closer to home,
I'll be especially aware of teacher/administrative attitudes toward art
in other schools!
Linda in Michigan