Re: Art on a Cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:46:09 -0500

Hi everyone --
I think Linda has hit the nail on the head -- the important thing is not
what your physical room situation is, but the attitudes and cooperative
spirit of others. I've done art a la cart and now have a wonderful room
with sufficient supplies. I think a little sugar goes a long way in
dealing with others who have concerns of their own -- I try never to be
snippy or sarcastic (some days it's very hard!!), and try to explain my
needs clearly. I do, however, think that even though our school is in one
of the poorest counties in NY, the school district has made enough of a
commitment to making sure the teachers have what they need materials &
supplies wise, so the classroom teachers don't have the need to "borrow"
from art room supplies. That's due to the administration's supportive
attitude.
So, in looking for another job, how would a person get a feel for that kind
of attitude?
Liz in rural NY
----------

Glenda wrote:

> I was really thinking about changing jobs which would mean "art on a
> cart" but after hearing your stories I may stay where I am.  I have a
> wonderful classroom....BUT....I have to drive 50 to 60 minutes one way
> (depending on weather and traffic).   And that's getting old!

Linda wrote:
It is
demoralizing to work as hard as we do while being so unappreciated.
A big plus
for me is that, with just a few exceptions, my colleagues empathize.
They are very good about being on time, most of them let me know of
schedule changes, etc. If I decide to look for a job closer to home,
I'll be especially aware of teacher/administrative attitudes toward art
in other schools!
Linda in Michigan